Visa types for International Registered Nurses to Australia
Jun 25

Visa types for International Registered Nurses to Australia

Jun 25

Australia offers ample opportunities for thousands of international students around the globe. Boasting one of the best education systems in the world, graduates from Australian educational institutions are presented with amazing career opportunities. Offering a diverse range of study areas, every aspiring international student will find courses of their interest to study in Australia.

One of the most popular occupations and study area has been Nursing. The nursing sector in Australia has grown strongly over the past few years, and career prospects look better than ever before. For aspiring international registered nurses, Australia offers various ways to start their career in Australia.

So, what are the available pathways for international registered nurses?  What visas can they apply for in Australia? Let’s have a look.

  1. Student Visa (subclass 500)
    The most popular pathway is studying a nursing course in Australia. You are looking at investing at least 1.5 – 3 years in completing your studies and becoming a Registered Nurse. This is ideal for international students who have completed their Year 12 or equivalent qualification in their home countries. The length of stay is temporary and will depend on the duration of your course.
  2. Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)
    This is the most sought after visa as it allows you to live and work in Australia permanently. You can have your foreign Nursing degree assessed by the Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council and apply for this points-tested stream visa.
  3. State Sponsorship Visa (subclass 190)
    Available for Australian institution graduates only, this is another points-tested stream visa that lets you live and work permanently in Australia.
  4. Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482)
    You can live and work in Australia for up to four years when your employer sponsors you to work in your nominated occupation.
  5. Training Visa (subclass 407)
    Granted for up to four years, you can apply for a training visa to participate in occupational training to acquire registration or licence, improve skills, or enhance your competency.
  6. Tourist visa (subclass 600)
    You can visit Australia as a tourist on a visitor visa and explore your temporary and permanent stay options

You can visit Australia as a tourist on a visitor visa and explore your temporary and permanent stay options.

Since you already are a Registered Nurse in your home country, the most lucrative option for you would be to apply for the skilled independent visa, which allows you to stay in Australia permanently. Nurses are in high demand in Australia, increasing the chances of granting permanent visas for applicants with nursing as their nominated occupation.

To apply for the skilled independent visa, you need to apply for Australian nursing registration based on your overseas nursing qualification and work experience. Outcomes-Based Assessment (OBA) is the new system that international students need to follow. The new assessment model includes completing a self-check, attending an orientation, and taking NCLEX and OSCE exams which form the Outcomes-Based Assessment (OBA).

At Nurse Assist International, we offer one of the best OBA preparatory course to assist clear your NCLEX and OSCE exams in the first attempt. We offer intakes every month so you can start your preparation at your preferred time.

With our NCLEX preparation centres to open soon in Nepal and India, you can start preparing from your home country even before you arrive in Australia. The registrations will open soon. Keep an eye out for our announcements.

Keen on exploring your future with us? Contact with us.